Monday, October 12, 2009

Baby's voice 'helped E-coli mother wake from coma'

Karen Morrisroe-Clutton, 32, and her baby: Baby's voice 'helped E.coli mother wake from coma'A mother, Karen Morrisroe-Clutton, who fell into a coma after contracting the lethal food poisoning bacteria E.coli was brought back to life after hearing the sound of her baby son's voice.

The 32 year-old was played a recording of the gurgles of 10-week-old son Oliver as she lay unconscious in a hospital bed.

She has now told how it gave her the will to live despite the agony of chronic poisoning.

The librarian was struck down by E.coli food poisoning suspected of being from a vegetarian burger at a takeaway bar at the end of July when little Ollie was just ten weeks old.

Doctors decided to induce her into a coma for her own health in the hope that her body and medication would help battle the infection.

She spent five weeks in a coma and on a dialysis machine before coming around at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

he spent five weeks in a coma and on a dialysis machine before coming around at Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

Mrs Morrisroe-Clutton, of Wrexham, North Wales, admitted that at the worst point she "wanted to die" because of the agony of the poison running through body, suffering seizures and kidney failure.

But her husband Paul, 33, played a video recording of Ollie's first weeks next to her bedside - and she remembers hearing his voice despite being in the coma.

"I confess that at one stage I just gave up. Frankly I wanted to die," she said.

"But then I heard Ollie and I thought 'I want to live'.

"I heard his voice because my husband Paul was playing the tapes and I turned around and said to myself: 'I can't do this. I need to live."

via Baby's voice 'helped E-coli mother wake from coma' - Telegraph.

But what if you are in a coma and you can't wake up? Isn't having someone play tapes of what you are missing a bit cruel?

No comments: