Monday, October 12, 2009

Britain's oldest newly-weds have combined age of 181

Britain's oldest newlyweds Les Atwell, 94, and Sheila Walsh, 87 on their wedding day at Oldway Mansion, Paignton, Devon: Britain's oldest newly-weds have combined age of 181Britain's oldest bridegroom has tied the knot aged 94 to his 87-year-old partner – a record-breaking marriage giving them a combined age of 181.

Les Atwell and his girlfriend of four years Sheila Walsh married in front of friends and family to become Britain's oldest newly-weds.

The couple, from Paignton, Devon, met after Mr Atwell's cleaner turned matchmaker and suggested he meet her friend Miss Walsh.

They then arranged a first date at a café in a branch of Tesco and four years later Mr Atwell took her back to the same supermarket – to propose.

They are now Britain's oldest couple to marry – beating the previous record of a combined age of 179 years.

Mrs Atwell said: "A friend told me about Les and I thought he sounded nice, but then she told me, 'he's 90', and I thought 'oh no I'm not sure'.

''But when we met, that was it, it was love at first sight.''

Mr Atwell said: ''It doesn't sound romantic to propose at a Tesco but it was where we first met so it was only right that I should ask her to marry me there as well.

via Britain's oldest newly-weds have combined age of 181 - Telegraph.

No comments: