Monday, October 11, 2010

UFO photo proof?

Victorian tourist Adam Rewuk did not realise he captured the image of the flying saucer over Katherine Gorge until he looked back over his photosVictorian tourist Adam Rewuk did not realise he captured the image of the flying saucer over Katherine Gorge until he looked back over his photos

THE accidental photograph on today's front page of a UFO over a popular tourist destination occurred only hours before a bright light buzzed the crowd at the Katherine Show.

NICK CALACOURAS - Victorian tourist Adam Rewuk did not realise he captured the image of the flying saucer over Katherine Gorge until he looked back over his photos after the trip.

"My Dad used to be a big UFO believer, so when I saw the picture, I thought of him," he said.

"I took the photo around lunch time, but I saw nothing in the sky. I didn't realise it was there until I saw the photo."

Mr Rewuk said the image was definitely not that of a plane or a mark on the lens of the camera.

"If I zoom in on the picture, it almost looks like a diamond shape with a bubble on the bottom," he said.

Mr Rewuk said the photo was taken only a few hours before a UFO was spotted at the nearby town show.

The NT News reported on July 17 that a bright light had travelled slowly across the sky about 6.20pm.

The UFO spooked hundreds of people at the showgrounds as the sun was starting to go down.

Mel Auty, from Camira, Queensland, said the UFO looked at first like a plane.

"But it was more like a falling star, just not falling. "And it wasn't dark enough for stars to be out.

"It was going across the sky for maybe five seconds, before it disappeared."

Vicki Mulholland, of Borroloola, said she was watching the last campdraft events at the show when something caught her eye.

"I looked up and something went across the sky," she said. "It kept going and going and suddenly it was gone just as if someone had switched if off."

via UFO photo proof? | Northern Territory News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au.

Looks like one of these:
blacktriangle

Take a look at a tweaked version of the photo, however.   In the original, the sky is white and this hides the edge of the photo. The top line being perfectly flat is what makes this look like a triangle UFO.

If you figure out where the top of the photo is cut off by darkening the sky in Photoshop as I've done here, you can see that this is probably just a stick or leaf hanging down in front of the photographer. The flat edge of the object is an illusion created by where the photo got cut off.



4 comments:

Patrick said...

What? Where? That black thing on the top? Xeno, can you circle what we're supposed to be looking at or something?

Xeno said...

Yes, the UFO is the black thing at the top. I'd like to see the surroundings. On second look, it could be a branch of a tree close to the photographer that was cut off by the top of the photo. That's the key. Is the top really that sharp edge, or is the edge an illusion? I'll post a Photoshop tweak in a second to show one way or another.

Patrick said...

Ah, thanks. This is . . . kind of ridiculous, isn't it?

Xeno said...

When I first saw it--after reading the word "UFO" in the title which primed me--I thought, "Woah, a daylight flying triangle"...

But Arcesilaus taught that we should suspend judgment, so I tabled my conclusion and took another look.

Now it seems obvious, but it didn't at first.

Minds have an amazing ability to quickly forget they were ever wrong. To protect the ego, we re-write the past and say to ourselves things like, "Yeah, well, I knew it all along. I always had my doubts that there were any WMD's in Iraq at all."