Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Cashews fight Cancer.

I read that a cashew based creme cured some skin cancers. I eat cashews to fight cavities, so I did some more research today.
A caution: Cashew nuts (actually a seed) are a great healthy food, but some people can have a reaction with poorly processed nuts. Roasting removes the oils so roasted nuts are safer, but even "raw cashews" are not usually really raw. So, as long as you get them from a company that is careful, you can avoid too much shell oil resorcinol and the allergens cardol and anacardic acid.

240px-gui1_cashewfruit2.jpgTopically you want the resorcinol as an antiseptic and disinfectant at 5 to 10% in ointments. Cardol from the cashew (most is in the bark) repels mullusks and roundworms and is a "cyclooxygenase inhibitor" used to treat inflammation and pain.

Cardol is being studied to treat and prevent cancer as a COX inhibitor, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

The anacardic acid from even roasted cashews kills bacteria that cause cavities and fights cancer by inhibiting two different histone acetyl-transferases (HATs), p300 and p300/CBP-associated factor which are associated with cell growth-control pathways. Cancer, you will recall, is cells growth out of control.

So, there is always a balance between wanting your cells to regenerate some so they don't die out, but not too much so they don't become cancer.

Anyway, I'm still looking for a way to cheaply and safely remove my cherry angiomas. The molevanish web site sells an $80 product that uses cashew plant somehow. I thought about just getting a topical anesthetic, cutting one off and see how it heals, but I'd read this:
Because the blood vessels comprising the angioma are so close to the skin's surface, cherry angiomas may bleed profusely if they are injured. For this reason, removal of a cherry angioma should take place under a doctor's care.

I did cut one once accidentally. It bled for a long time and is actually bigger now, so I don't think that's the way to go. But if I could make a paste out of cashew shell oil that would disinfect it while it slowly burned away the mole, leaving no scar ... that would be great. I'd add some topical anesthetic too. Those moles hurt when cut!

Also, my research says try cashew apple juice to drink if you can get it. It seems to have anti-tumor properties.

No comments: