Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Build a transcranial magnetic stimulation and play with your brain

tms_diagram.jpgOpenStim is a community that aims to develop a magnetic brain stimulator which you can build and use in your own home.The technique is known as 'transcranial magnetic stimulation' or TMS. In essence, TMS is a powerful computer controlled electromagnet that sends focused magnetic pulses into the brain.

The magnetic field induces a current in the neurons, which then become stimulated as a result.

This can be used to alter the brain in specific ways, either activating or deactivating certain areas of the cortex. ... Existing research has used this technique and has shown that stimulating certain areas improves mood or, in some instances, cognitive performance. - more on mindhacks

Too late, I already installed a small door with some squeeky hinges in my skull. I can open it and directly plug my I-pod into my mesodiencephalic transition zone, including the ventral tegmental area.

No comments: