Monday, March 16, 2009

How Your Brain Can Control Pain

A friend of mine is having some strong pain. There are over 7 million related Google pages, but I have yet to find a simple step by step instruction manual regarding how to stop pain through self hypnosis, autogenic training or whatever. Anyone have a simple step by step guide?







Here are some basics:
1) Block prostaglandins - (Fish oils and polyunsaturated fatty acids, various meds Ibuprofen, naproxen. )
2) Increase endorphins, or use narcotic painkillers like morphine that block chemical messengers that carry the pain signal to the brain
3) Acupuncture is very helpful for musculo-skeletal pain.
4) Improve overall health as much as possible in any small ways you can
5) Lower fear / self hypnosis / relaxation techniques like autogenic training.

1 comment:

Silkyray said...

I vouch for the fish oil. When I don't take my fish oil I can tell a major difference in my mood and physical state.