Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pet shop receives delivery of dead man instead of tropical fish

When Mark Arabia, owner of the Pets Plus store, went out to the delivery man's vehicle to collect the $1,000 fish supply he discovered a coffin.

"At first when I looked at it, I said, 'Fish never come this way'," he said.

He said he eventually learned that the body inside was that of a 65-year-old man from San Diego, California, who died of early onset Alzheimer's Disease.

The body was supposed to go to a laboratory in Allentown, Pennsylvania, but there was an "unfortunate mix-up" at Philadelphia airport, said US Airways.

The airline, which had brought the body from California, said the problem was caused by a "verbal miscommunication between a delivery driver and the cargo representative", adding that it was "deeply sorry".

"I think it's horrible. You can mess up, give us wrong stuff, wrong boxes. I guess this is how they treat bodies at the airport, which is a shame," said Mr Arabia.

"If it was my family member, I'd really be broken up."

via Pet shop receives delivery of dead man instead of tropical fish - Telegraph.

No comments: