Saturday, April 22, 2006

Private: How do you Define Addiction?

Are you the victim of a loved one's gambling addiction? Lets say, for example, someone you love plays poker until 3 or 4 AM sometimes on work nights and leaves your beautiful relationship to spend more time playing poker. Are those signs of a problem? Here are some questions I found:
queen.gif
Did gambling make you careless of the welfare of yourself or your family? Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned? Have you ever gambled to escape worry or trouble? Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping? Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble? Have you ever felt remorse after gambling? After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses? After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more? Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune (new job, etc.) by a few hours of gambling?

Of course, love is a dance. Both partners have to keep their balance. I'm working on my head in a big way at the moment. I've replaced negative habits with postive ones: running again, keeping in touch with friends, meditation tapes to fall asleep, etc. That is going very well so far, but I think from talking to several friends about things that you also have to work on the hollow feeling that causes your particular addiction too. I need to find me a doctor for love addicts. (I'm at 60% addicted, how about you?)

No comments: