Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Boy catches piranha

A 14-year-old boy fishing in his local pond got a big surprise ? when he landed a man-eating piranha. getedim2ageaspx.jpegJosh Boyle hooked the deadly fish in Reddish Vale in Stockport, Greater Manchester. A keen angler, Josh realised it was a piranha ? native to tropical rivers in South America ? and held its sharp teeth at arm's length in a towel. The schoolboy even had the presence of mind to photograph it on his mobile phone to prove to his friends and family he was not telling fishy tales. "It was easy to get it back on to the bank because I had the net," he said.
"Then I went over to my mate and said 'It's a piranha' and he didn't believe me. "My brother used to keep piranhas as pets so I know what they look like."
"I was shocked ? but it was as shocked as me. It had big teeth but it wasn't trying to bite me and it looked pretty weak." Josh returned the 3lb fish to the water but later found it dead. "It was in cold water so it was dying," he said. "Somebody probably dumped it there. ... Piranhas are rightly feared in the Amazon and other South American warm freshwaters where they hunt in huge shoals. Growing up to 40cm (16 inches) in length, they have teeth sharp enough to bite through a human finger. - yorks
085co.jpg

No comments: