Saturday, November 1, 2008

Mich. Woman: Supporting Obama? No Treats For You

A suburban Detroit woman has decided to scare up the vote among neighborhood children by just offering treats to John McCain supporters.


Shirley Nagel of Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich., handed out candy Friday only to those who shared her support for the Republican presidential candidate and his running mate Sarah Palin. Others were turned away empty-handed. TV station WJBK says a sign outside Nagel's house warned: "No handouts for Obama supporters, liars, tricksters or kids of supporters." Nagel calls Democrat Barack Obama "scary." When asked about children who were turned away empty-handed and crying, she said: "Oh well. Everybody has a choice." Fax and phone messages left at numbers for Nagel were not returned. - cbsnews


Ironic. This woman is doing Obama supporters a favor in several ways.  She is showing that Republicans can be cruel to kids with their policies, but also, by only giving no tooth-rotting, vitamin C foiling sugar to budding Democrats, she is actually helping their long term health, while damaging the brains of youngsters from her own team.


Dr. John Ely has a Glucose Antagonism Theory - that since both glucose and Ascorbate are drawn into cells by the same insulin-mediated pathway, that too much sugar can crowd out vitamin C.  - nme


Everyone should deny democrats candy on Halloween, but add healthy delicious treats instead, like some yummy grapes or watermelon. (See my birthday cake in Hawaii three years ago...)


Would a "no processed sugar for Democrats" policy result in a party of short term thinking, gullible, lazy, hyperactive people with attention deficit disorder on the Republican side of the isle, and compassionate, skeptical, productive, long term thinking, non-paranoid, logical people on the Democratic side?


To be accurate, I don't subscribe to two party thinking. We are all on a spectrum. I'm a financial conservative, but a social liberal, for example. When I gave up sugar several years ago, I went through full body cravings and withdrawals, but after that, I stopped getting sick, I healed 5 cavities, and my stomach problems (acid reflux) vanished. I could run faster, jump higher, and no bugs ever hit my windshield after that day.


I've taken this next snippet from the Wikipedia page on sugar addiction.


In general, to be classified as an addiction, reproducible "double blind" experiments would have to show that the experimental subjects exhibited all three elements that make up the definition of this term: a behavioral pattern of increased intake and changes in brain chemistry; then signs of withdrawal and further changes in brain chemistry upon deprivation; and third, signs of craving and relapse after withdrawal is over.


I definitely experience all three elements of addiction to sugar.  But now that I don't put it in my system at all, I find that my cravings for it have decreased tremendously. -vox

No comments: