Saturday, April 18, 2009

N-Acetyl L-Cysteine for Dry eyes?

Many people have dry eye problems.  I do  from time to time, but I've kept it in check with certain measures. Here is a recent comment via email from Adam regarding my article on Dry Eye Syndrome :

Something to add to the webpage is N-Acetyl L-Cysteine. It's found at health food stores, typicallly in 600mg capsules.

I first ran across it from a study out of Turkey in which 3 doses per day of 100mg orally improved tear breakup time in dry eye sufferers.

My personal observation: Cell phone use causing dry eye seemed unlikely at first, but then I realized my dry eye surfaced around the same time I first had a cellphone (4 years ago, as a senior in high school). Ever since I've known I have MGD (and not pink eye like the family doctor thought 4 years ago!), I have tried to piece together what changed in my life since then and so I am certainly going to try using speakerphone for awhile.

I think you and I think alike (inquisitive, healthy skepticism, open mind, optimistic) so it was refreshing to find your page.
Good Luck, Adam

P.S. Also for the website, there are plastic bottles that are perfectly safe as far as I know. Numbers 2, 4, and 5. No BPA



Thanks for the tip.  Anyone else have comments about N-Acetyl L-Cysteine and dry eyes?

I had the same thoughts about the cell phone.  I've also observed that my eyes are dry in the morning if I leave my laptop on overnight next to my bed. Both use wireless. I wonder if there is a drying, heating, or other biological effect.

No comments: