Monday, June 29, 2009

New Free Xeno Song: "Home to You"

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/holographic-environment-1a.jpgTo celebrate surpassing 1 million hits on this blog, here is the third free song, two weeks in the making. "Home to You" is a three minute space rock opera.

Influences: Klaatu, CAKE, the Beatles, ELO, David Bowie, Jason Mraz.

It was going to be a science fiction story, but Lulu wanted a love song, so I made it a mix of the two. Special thanks to my roommate, "Irina the Astronaut Rescue Robot"!

It will make much more sense when someone makes a video for it... Here is the daydream which spawned the song.

The idea is that in the future when you are going on a rescue mission to save the Earth from a solar flare, you can stay in constant contact with someone remotely. Technology will allow you to be in two places at once.  You can also feel people (the Internet has evolved to include the sense of touch). Major Tom is both dancing with his wife and flying his space ship at the same time. Kim is on Earth, but is also hearing what is going on on the space ship.  The green parts are a virtual connection.
Home to You, A Miniature Space Rock Opera

Stunningly attired for the apocolypse, Kim, the astronaut's wife smiles
As they slow dance in the underground gymnasium
He is virtually there, as he is flying towards the sun

Bang! There is a powerful explosion in the dark matter engines
And she looks deeply in his eyes, looking for a sign

And he says, "This is what I was meant for, you have always known that"
"This is what I came here to do.  Life is unpredictable
And love is indestructable
And if I can I will get home to you

Masterfully his fingers work the instruments
With seconds left to spare he does the job
As they ride the escalator to the balcony
The solar flare that would have fried the Earth goes into space

"Ground Control, it's Major Tom. I just saved the Earth
Along with everything I ever knew, I'm coming home

Some damage in the delicate navigation grid
Sends him on a spiral back in time
He lands on Earth and nearly hits a dinosaur
He is actually scared, for the first time in his life
But he says, "This is what I was meant for"
"I have always known that this is what I came here to do."
"Live is unpredictable, and love is indestructable"
"And if I can I will get home."

He activates the beacon in the rescue pod
Maps the planet then sets up a base
He drops a teriyaki pterodactyl wing
A year later when they find him he can not believe his eyes
"Hi. I grew a beard and kept a journal. Such amazing beasts and weird plants too."
Tears as his wife appears.
The kiss sends a shiver from his toes up to his neck and he says

I'm the one you fell for, you have always shown that
And while away my love just grew
Live is unpredictable and love is indestructible
It's so good to be home. It's so good to be home.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

Thanks for the lyrics- there is so much going on in this song (dinosaurs, solar flares, dancing, oh my) that it makes it easier to connect when you can read along. I love the chorus, that "life is unpredictable, love is indestructible"-very true. I also wonder, when his hands were "masterfully working the instruments", if his wife was taking advantage of the internet's tactile technology. mmmmmm...
great song-love and adventure make a great combonation.