Monday, August 24, 2009

Rare multicoloured chrysanthemum stuns horticulturalists

William Underwood found the vibrant flower on Monday amongst his other yellow chrysanthemumsA rare multicoloured chrysanthemum has stunned the horticultural world after it burst into bloom at odds of thousands to one – exactly half pink and half yellow.

William Underwood, 73, found the striking flower among the other vibrant chrysanthemums in his garden in Cavendish, Suffolk.

The plant only has one stem and one head and experts say the split in colour straight down the middle of the flower is caused by a very rare genetic mutation.

Mr Underwood has been a keen gardener after marrying his late wife Katherine, who was a professional flower arranger, 40 years ago.

The retired long-distance lorry driver, who bought the flower seeds from a nursery near Chichester, West Sussex, said: "I was amazed.

"I have been growing flowers and vegetables in my garden for years but have never seen anything as strange as this.

"I've seen two different coloured flowers growing on one stem but have never seen one flower head that is split exactly down the middle.

"My wife was a flower arranger before she died of cancer and I think she would have been pretty impressed with this flower – although I don't know how I've grown it." ...

via Rare multicoloured chrysanthemum stuns horticulturalists - Telegraph.

No comments: