Friday, August 21, 2009

The Automatic Door

This from Anton Barbeau, a brilliant songwriter I've recorded with a few times in Sacramento.
Hey gang - yes, it's all gone a bit bizarre 'round here. I'm guessing some of you have already seen this clip, but for those that haven't, here 'tis. It's even made it into the Guardian's "Viral Video" chart this week. It's a clip of a poor fellow coming to terms with an automatic door. My song, "The Automatic Door," is the music in the background. At present, the clip is up to something like 1,300,000+ viewings, so needless to say, I'm kinda fweaked and tweaked to know that that many people have heard my tune! I won't comment on the clip itself, but check it if you have a moment...
We're working on getting the track up globally on iTunes, the album to follow shortly.






Glad he seems not to have been seriously hurt. What gets me is, I can't figure out his thinking. Did he have no experience with large sheets of glass? Was he thinking it is like water? The faster you get through it, the better?

Imagine yourself on an alien space space ship trying to figure out the controls. Would you accidentally eat the steering wheel?

Anton, for those in the UK who might want to see him, hear  him, or smash into his glasses, finishes the email in this way:
[anton_inside1.jpg]I think the download-only "Plastic EP" will only be available in the UK. Will check on that. The release date is 24 August, and you can pre-order from Play.com here:

I believe iTunes will have it, other digital joints like Amazon as well...

PLASTIC GUITAR

My 13th album!!! Oi! Coming out on Pink Hedgehog at the end of September, though I should have boxes in the living room by the weekend, word has it. Won't say anything more about the album for now, but I've got 4 UK album launch gigs booked.

UK LAUNCH GIGS

3 SEPTEMBER - LATEST MUSIC BAR, BRIGHTON

w/Eliza Skelton

9 SEPT - 12 BAR CLUB, LONDON

Bobbing For Apples and the Left Outsides support, and I'll have Su Jordan and Ollie, Rob and Jon from Stornoway backing me. Rumour is that Andy Metcalfe will sit in on a few tunes.

11 SEPT - BLACK CAT, CAMBRIDGE

A solo acoustic gig at the wee cafe on Mill Road, no entry fee. 7pm-9.

12 SEPT - MAGIC CAFE, OXFORD

Back again to rock the brunch & babies crowd, then...

12 SEPT - JERICHO TAVERN, OXFORD

Alan and Holly join me to rock da haus in support of Thunderclap Newman.

Off to Germany after that, details later...

3 comments:

Viral « Silence's Blog said...

[...] Nu agreez expresia “extreme stupidity” folosita … probabil nu era “prietenos” cu tehnica … Am vazut clipul pe xenophilia [...]

Patrick said...

I'd say the phrase "Adding insult to injury" is pretty appropriate here. A guy hurts himself and millions of people online laugh at him because he has never encountered a technology that we take for granted.
Following this train of thought, it might be hilarious to watch an indigenous person cross a street having no knowledge of how traffic lights work. Then he gets clobbered by a cement truck!
Hilarious.

Intrachresodist said...

How did he get in the building in the first place? Was he born inside it?