Thursday, October 28, 2010

City's 'Most Tattooed Man' Injects Ink Into Eyes

Tattoo enthusiast Matt Gone has become known around Portland as a man with checkerboard tattoos that cover much of his body.

"I picked the the checker pattern because nobody had done it," Gone said.

Now he's done something else that few have tried: He injected ink into both of this eyes -- by himself.

"I picked different colors cause I like mutations because I have birth defects," Gone said.

Gone said birth defects that left some of his muscles underdeveloped inspired him to start tattooing his body nearly 20 years ago as a means to disguise his deformities. He estimates more than 98 percent of his skin is covered with ink.

"I never really knew how far I would ever go, and [tattooing my eyes] is about as far as you can go," Gone said.

But some doctors believe Gone has gone too far with his latest design. Dr. Douglas Meier, an ophthalmologist with the Portland Clinic in Beaverton, said Gone is at risk for infection that could lead to blindness or could even cause him to lose his eyes.

"The risk of putting a needle near your eye is grave," said Meier. "Someone at home does not have access to the equipment nor the expertise."

Gone said he knew the risks and he proceeded with caution.

"I patch tested it and was successful. I had to take the risk; I've done that a lot of times before," said Gone. "I'm not crazy. I'm trained. I have a lot of experience."

Gone has shared that experience in cyberspace. One of his videos posted on the Internet details how he tattooed his tongue. But Gone said his most recent lesson is for his eyes only.

"I'm glad I [tattooed my eyes] - I got lucky - but it's your risk and I'm not going to help you," said Gone. "I did this for me, this is my project, my body."

Meier said the state of Oklahoma has banned the practice of tattooing the white portion of the eye. He also said the Board of Medical Examiners in Oregon is reviewing the practice.

via City's 'Most Tattooed Man' Injects Ink Into Eyes - Health News Story - KPTV Portland.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Tattooing one's eyes appears to be a trend among prison inmates, as well. (Check out YouTube) Sad. We live in one real lonely world, despite its being over-populated.