Monday, March 28, 2011

How to rob me of $10 right now!

I just discovered that you can download my entire CD -- Xenophilia, Cafe of Love, from 2001 -- free on your iPhone.

Go to the App store and get the free app called "MOG".


MOG

Use the free 7 day trial then search for "Xenophilia" and tap the arrows to download all my songs to your iPhone.

Listen for free for a week, then you have to pay to keep listening.

I do not believe that I get a cent from people using the free version of this app to listen to my music.

I also do not think I get paid when people are paying $10/month to keep using the app after the trial.

Do not buy my CD on my web site, because you can get the whole thing, the Cafe of Love, at a price all iPhone users will love: FREE.

If nothing else, check out my song "Crop Circles", still one of my favorite weird songs.

Similar Artists feature

Hey neat, there is a feature to find similar artists on the MOG radio. The similar artist software found: "Wild Pack of Family Dogs" by Modest Mouse. Hmm. Nah. I like my stuff better.

But wait, "Big Dipper" by Built to Spill is great. And I really like "Cha Cha Cha" by The Little One's. Oh, and I love "Last Song" by Matt Pond, beautiful!

Okay, this is a freakin' cool app.

But it ain't right.



Related:
A website that sold Beatles songs online for 25 cents apiece before they became legally available has agreed to pay record companies nearly $1 million to settle a federal lawsuit.U.S. District Judge Josephine Staton Tucker signed off on the settlement between BlueBeat.com and music companies EMI Group PLC, Capitol Records and Virgin Records America on Friday. The judge ruled in December that the site violated the music labels' copyrights and presented unfair competition.

A trial to determine how much BlueBeat owed the companies was scheduled to begin Tuesday in Santa Ana, Calif.

BlueBeat streamed and sold music by the Fab Four and other top-name acts, including Coldplay and Lily Allen, for several days before music companies sued to shut it down in November 2009. By then, the site had already distributed more than 67,000 songs by The Beatles. - cnbc

Oh wow, I found a song I sang on with Anton Barbeau. I think that's me singing on "Please Sir I've Got A Wooden Leg" ... and at least one other song on Anton's "A Splendid Tray".

Ha, oh yeah, check out "a Robot Tells Jokes" by Doug Powell. Reminds me of good times with the comedy show.

I'm falling asleep to Bill Ives version of the Beatles song Michelle. Nicely done vocal jazz.

Then Nora Jones' "Don't Know Why" pops up and I re-live Maui and the time I almost got married. And I see clearly for a heartbeat or two that I'm a fool hiding from the sick and wicked world, and missing, in my suit of armor, the ability to touch my dream ... I drift asleep... and the iPhone I'm writing this on slips from my fingers and floats to the floor in slow motion.

4 comments:

marjoriekaye said...

alas, I don't have an iphone.

Xeno said...

Well, any of you want a CD and you don't have an iPhone, email me a shipping address to xeno735@yahoo.com and I'll see what I can do.

This offer is only good for the next 7 days. I obviously need to compete with the free give away of my music by Apple and the only way to do that is to give it away free. This offer will probably cost me over $100 in postage.

Can I at least claim a loss on my taxes due to intellectual property theft?

Ann said...

"This offer will probably cost me over $100 in postage." Funny, Xeno! Try C.O.D?

Telling readers how to rob you, Xeno, is reminiscent of Abbie Hoffman and his book: "Steal This Book." (Abbie Hoffman, who was arrested more than 40 times!)

Very Sweet, Xeno!

rinikitty said...

Ahhhh! The app isn't available in Japan! That's cruel! We are suffering! We need the music! Damn!