Tuesday, March 29, 2011

When Does a Nuclear Disaster End?

http://xenophilius.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/chernobyl_sarcophagus_440.jpg?w=300Those who think Japan's Fukushima disaster is today's headlines and tomorrow's history need to take a good look at the Chernobyl disaster, which to this day is a continuing threat to the people of Ukraine. It will be hundreds of years before the area around the destroyed reactor is inhabitable again and there are disputes over whether or not Chernobyl's nuclear fuel still poses a threat of causing another explosion. There is also a teetering reactor core cover and the deteriorating sarcophagus itself that may collapse and send plumes of radioactive dust in all directions.

via Activist Post: When Does a Nuclear Disaster End? Never..

3 comments:

rinikitty said...

It's a little discouraging... I feel so bad for all the people living near there. Honestly Japanese people are basically agains any nuclear power. I remember a year ago on tv here they were exposing how there are several people in America on the right that are in favor of it and how people here in Japan disagree with even having this type of power here. The nuclear business is more powerful than people realize I suppose. I just wish there was a day soon where I don't have to check the news to make sure that the wind isn't travling south towards Tokyo and Yokohama so I can go outside. It helps that iPhone created a app for us that measures the amount of radiation in the air.

Robert Myrland said...

This is how it goes when people are so naive to believe that free energy is not possilbe!

interesting facts said...

I agree! And I could not have said it any better! Keep up the good work my friend.