Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mustaine: Black magic haunts me

(Reuters)Megadeth rocker Dave Mustaine refuses to play heavy rock anthem The Conjuring live - because the track is laden with black magic imagery and occult spells.

The singer became fascinated in witchcraft as a teen and he's convinced spells he cast have come back to haunt him.

Now a strict Christian, he's keen to distance himself from his dark past - and refuses to play his song The Conjuring from 1986 album Peace Sells... but Who's Buying on tour - because the lyrics about black magic still affect him.

He tells Total Guitar magazine, "Performance wise, The Conjuring is one of the heaviest songs on the record, but unfortunately it's got black magic in it and I promised that I wouldn't play it any more, because there's a lot of instructions for hexes in that song.

"Although it seems kinda corny, anybody who's a Wiccan (witch) or a warlock or anything like that will know that all of that stuff is instrumental.

"When I got into black magic I put a couple of spells on people when I was a teenager and it haunted me forever, and I've had so much torment. People say, 'Goddamn, Dave never gets a break, he's had such a hard life,' and I just think, 'No, Dave didn't - he got into black magic and it ruined his life.'

"Fortunately for me, with all the work and the love of my friends, and not giving up with my guitar playing, I got over it. So I look back now and I think, 'Hmm, I don't wanna play The Conjuring'."

via Mustaine: Black magic haunts me | Music | Entertainment | Toronto Sun.

He has always had an active imagination. Still does. Nice bass sound around 1:25. I have no idea what he is saying. Can't really hear the lyrics.




2 comments:

Trademark Litigation said...

Here is a similar story

Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine went ahead with a six song set at a gig in Russia last week despite being taken ill two hours before the show.

Although the rocker’s people say that reports Mustaine collapsed backstage at St Petersburg’s Jubileeny Arena are an exaggeration, the rocker admits doctors advised him to cancel the show.

Speaking to Rocknewsdesk.com, Mustaine said: “Two hours before the show I started to feel like I had a hernia, or I’d been hit in the groin. I told my tour manager I needed a doctor and it might be in my best interest to cancel the show”.

Neophos said...

Yeah, Dave is pretty weird, but The Conjuring was probably the reason i was into Megadeth when i was a Teen. I loved them back then. And this led to picking up the guitar, which is still a good thing today. In opposite to seeing Megadeth live nowadays :).