Saturday, April 23, 2011

Rosie Vela

Today I got curious about the female singer who is singing with Jeff Lynne in ELO. It turned out to be quite  a story. Roseanne "Rosie" Vela, born in the coastal city of Galveston, Texas,  stayed with her boyfriend Jimmy Roberts, and married him in the hospital before he died of cancer. He sang her a song he wrote on the last night before he slipped into a coma and died. One story says he died in her arms.

Following that tragedy, she landed a modeling job and appeared on the cover of Vogue 14 times before she decided to focus on her music (and a bit of acting).

Her story gives the lyrics to the ELO song "Turn to Stone" (released October 1977)  new meaning.
"Through all I sit here and I wait I TURN TO STONE I TURN TO STONE
You will return again some day TO MY BLUE WORLD"

I had no idea that one of my favorite bands of all times included a red-headed supermodel with heart of gold.

In my band Xenophilia, I had many fun years performing with the super hot and talented Amy Anne, who I'm sure could have been a model if she was so inclined. I believe I took this photo of Amy Anne myself.  I think she'd give Rosie a run for her money, so to speak.  ;-)

Getting an early start on my 2012 New Year's Resolutions: After I finish writing and recording my 100 original songs in 2011 -- I resolve to find my supermodel musician girlfriend, get a fantastic band together, book a bunch of shows, entertain people and enjoy many years of fun!

I like what Rosie said about playing music until you are 100 years old. Yes, I'd like that.

Who can say how long any of us have, really, but I believe in this dream. It feels like what I am supposed to do.  Do you know the feeling?

This is why I've never married.  I'm in love with someone I haven't met yet. I saw her once in a dream. She was at a party on some steps, wearing an over-sized white men's dress shirt.  I'll know her when I see her, or when I hear her sing.

The tragedy--and the comedy--is that I'm one of the most stubborn and idealistic people you'll ever meet and if I can't have what I envision, I will just wait and wait. I'll search forever, passing up so many good things. I already have. Wish me luck.
















2 comments:

Vanessa Pellon said...

What is comedic about keeping a dream at arm's length?

Xeno said...

I'll tell you when I'm done laughing my ironic laugh.